Tuesday, October 19, 2010

30 by 30 Reading List Update

Next on the list was the favourite of my friend Meaghan. Meaghan is an English major and has bookshelves full of wonderfully colour-coordinated books, so I was really interested to see what her favourite book was. She said she had a really hard time picking, so she just chose one she thought was good.

Her choice: Nikolski by Nicolas Dickner



Nikolski is a Canadian book originally written in French. It seemed to translate well into English since I didn't really notice any weirdness in the wording. It is the story of several characters who end up living in Montreal and are all interconnected.

Sorry to Meag, but I can't say I was really a fan. I just didn't get it. It definitely wasn't meant to be a plot-driven story, which is normally what I enjoy. It was very much about the day-to-day lives of the characters and a bit about why they turned out the way they did. I didn't find a lot of character development and there was no resolve to any of the issues that arose. It actually took me quite a while to read because I just couldn't get into it.

I think this book is great for a very specific audience - one which probably doesn't include me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment